26 September 2010

Interbike 2010

Welcome back!  It's been nearly six months since I last blogged-it-up, but you haven't missed much.  Let me give you a quick synopsis:

Returned from Europe with high hopes to plug in some strong results in the States.  Did just that at the 2010 Pro XCT in Colorado Springs, pulling out a top 20 finish in the stacked pro field in all three events, Individual TT, Cross Country, and Short Track.  Two of the results had me in the top three U23 riders, so at this point, nationals was looking pretty damn good.  At the Firecracker 50 (aka USAC Marathon Nationals), had another great race out on my local turf - riding in the top ten through the first 25 miles (rode through lap 1 with Dave Weins and Jeremiah Bishop).  With XC Nationals only a week away, however, I decided to pull the plug early and head home for recovery after my legs started cramping.  At nationals, I was having the race of my life, but bad luck held me out of that coveted podium that I've sought for so long.  I got the hole-shot up the steep first climb (by the top of it, I had nearly a 100-meter lead) but ran into problems right away on the start-loop descent.  Throughout the race, I continued to experience mechanical issues, but was able to climb myself back into 6th by the end.  Going into the last lap, I was over a minute behind fellow Coloradoans Mitch Hoke and Matt Beaton, who were fighting for the fourth place spot.  By the end of the race, I had pulled myself back up to the two riders, but was not able to bridge the last 10 or so seconds on the last descent.  So close...  Oh well, take it as a learning experience and realize I still have 2 more years left of U23 to get one of those precious metals slung over my neck.  The next day I pulled off a top 15 in the Pro Men's Short Track National Championships, finishing as the third U23 in the race.


Jumping in the Hole-shot at the USAC U23 XC Nationals.  

______________________________________

In August I drove myself and all my stuff down to Boulder for my sophomore year at CU.  I'm living in an apartment just south of campus.  Shortly after moving, I returned to Summit for the Colorado State XC and STXC championships, where I rode to my first ever Pro Podium!  In the Cross Country, I was able to pull off a nationals-type race day, but with no mechanicals this time.  In the end, two Colorado legends, Jay Henry and Jake Wells, grabbed the top two slots, but I rode a strong third onto my first podium!  


Pro XC Podium at the 2010 Colorado State Championships

____________________________

After the state championships at Keystone, I continued my training down in Boulder, but soon realized (through some bad luck) that I needed to take a break after almost 8 months of hard training.  Over the course of 4 days, I was struck twice by cars, and also had a nasty incident with a slackline while riding across campus.  Luckily, the first two accidents left nothing but mental scars and a few bruises, but the least exciting of all the stories put me into the painful position of not being able to ride for several weeks.  


A week or so after the accident, I visited the doctor who informed me that I had received a border-line 3rd degree burn from the rope.  The scab had grown almost a centimeter thick, and I was unable to bend my leg far enough to ride my bike.  After spending two weeks off the bike, the doctor informed me that I should continue that horrible trend, and not ride until the scab was fully-healed.  

Now, I'm all recovered and riding again, but slowly.  It's funny that you spend 8 months training to peak for these big races, and after two weeks of inactivity, you can barely ride uphill.  Such has been the nature of my collegiate season so far.  My legs feel good and solid every race, but with all that base-training gone, I have a hard time cracking the top-ten.  I guess injury is a veritable excuse. 

And now for the exciting part:  I N T E R B I K E  2 0 1 0!


Took some time off school to hitch a flight to Las Vegas for Interbike 2010, the International Cycling Expo.  Thanks to Maxxis Tires, who set me up with a pass to the show, which was probably the single greatest spectacle I've ever witnessed.  


While there, I spent a heafty amount of time in the Rocky Mountain booth, drooling over the soon-to-be-in-my-possession 2011 Rocky Mountain Element (above).  This bike marks a huge turning point in Rocky Mountain.  It is sleek, stiff, and super-light.  So far, it has only been ridden by Geoff Kabush and a few select riders from the Maxxis/Rocky Mountain Professional Mountain Bike Team, but now it's finally here for everyone to enjoy.  On the RSL build, expect Carbon Race Face products, a full XTR build, beautiful new DT Swiss 1540's and a matching 2011 Fox Float Remote Lock-out.  STOKE!  The bike should be here by Christmas. 


I'm also very excited about the new Maxxis line-up for 2011.  The new IKON caught my eye as a potentially potent XC race tire.  Build with new EXO sidewall protection, this non-UST tire will be fast and durable and hopefully on all my bikes next year.  Thanks again to Maxxis for a great 2010 and beyond - I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I've NEVER FLATTED a pair of Maxxis Tires, NEVER!


My other new ride for 2011 - the new Vertex, with a similar look to last year's ride, but don't be fooled.  The bike is lighter and faster!  Stoked to get it out on the climbs.


Fi'zi:k has a great new look with their new Tundra, and I am happy to be riding the saddle for the fourth year in a row.  Are you a snake, a chameleon, or a bull?  Find out at http://www.fizik.it/spineconcept/


Interbike was incredible, to say the least.  It was great to see such a broad spectrum of the cycling industry come out to talk about and look at bikes.  It was my first Interbike experience, and with a handful of new sponsors lined up for 2011, I'm happy with how it turned out (even though I spent a total of 14 hours in the airport waiting for standby seats). 

Returning to the Kevin Kane sponsor lineup for 2011:

Maxxis Tires
Rocky Mountain Bikes
SixSixOne / One Industries
Mountain Racing Products
Podium Sports
Summit Velocity

New for 2011:

White Lightning
providing some of the best bike lube and cleaning products 

Extreme Endurance
an incredible drug-free supplement trusted by some of the world's top athletes

DT Swiss
the lightest/strongest wheels in the business, as well as forks and shocks


In the woodwork:

GU Energy
will be fueling the Kane-Train through 2011

SockGuy
will be stylishly clothing the feet through mud, heat, and everything else

KMC
will be lightening my whip with the lightest chain in the world

Fox Racing Shox
will be providing ample cush through those gnarly Euro race courses

Swobo
will be stylishly clothing everything other than my feet whilst off the bike

Crank Brothers
will be securing me to my bike by means of the incredibly light Eggbeater 11

Fi'zi:k
will be creating the most excellent saddle sores for the fifth year running

Sidi
will be putting their shoe in, literally

T-9 Lubricant
will be lubing my bike like it does the Boeing Jets it was made for


Thanks Everyone, and Ride On!

No comments: