22 May 2009

The end is near...

Hey all you blogger fanatics, occasional passerby's, and devoted followers... It's time for you to turn off those computers and move on with your lives.  Now, I would be a hypocrite to be an activist for the anti-technological movement, but I certainly am an advocate for getting out into nature.  

Why are you here anyway? 

??? 

If it's because you are looking for some sort of insight into cycling training in Europe, I assure you, there are much more professional and respectable sites for that.



If it's because you're interested in my ideas, then here's another one for you... walk into nature and don't look back until you've had enough.  



If it's because you find me inspiring, I would have to insist that all inspiring people - at least in my book - have in turn been inspired by nature.  Ansel Adams, Edward Abbey, Teddy Roosevelt.  Do people like Donald Trump inspire me? Oprah Winfrey? Barrack Obama?  No.  They inspire too many blind and reckless individuals. They represent the the hierarchy of riches, the blinded opinion of the populace, and the fantasy of politics.  Let me alone to be inspired by the beauty of nature.  And you - don't be inspired by me, go directly to the source.  


The end is near.  Three days. One 11.5 km hill-climb, one German cross-country, one exhausting trip to Frankfurt International, one 1:50 p.m. direct-to-Denver Lufthansa flight, and one 5000-mile journey away from home. 


An essential part of any journey - Oscar-winning or otherwise - is the following speech:

Thank you all so much, thank you for your support through the good and the bad.  It's been an amazing trip.  First of all, my parents deserve all the credit, both for my trip and for the wonderful life I am living - Thanks, of course, is not enough to ignore the amount of money I owe them!  


Thanks to my sister, Meghan, for the unyielding support along the way, and a developing bond that was occasionally marred by many years of living under the same roof, but nevertheless became evident the minute I stepped out the door.  To Ashley, for taking a chance with me, not knowing what would become of it, and for her love and support everyday.  


To my incredible sponsors - Cannondale and the whole list of companies supporting our team - because in cycling, you need a lot more than luck to be successful.  



To my wonderful community, many of whom still have no idea that I left, which is the way I like it.  To USA Cycling and Marc Gullickson for giving me the opportunity to race World Cups and attend the U23 Camp in Germany.  


To my fellow Ameircan cyclists in Kirchzarten, Mitch Hoke, Tad Elliot, Tristan Cowie, Ethan Gilmour, Stephen Ettinger, Colin Osborn, Trevor Downing, and Rob Squire, for revamping my motivation during these last three weeks.  


To Jimmy Deaton for race support and many a great laughs, and Joey Erst, without whom I'd have no bike to ride.  Thank YOU, for reading my sometimes random updates, but supporting me nonetheless.  And finally, and most importantly, thanks to the Family Stirnemann - Beat, Regula, Matthias, and Kathrin - for their incredible hospitality and providing me with the chance of a lifetime.  



No comments: